4 minutes
v5c logbook

The V5C logbook, also known as the vehicle registration certificate, is an official document issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the United Kingdom. 

It contains essential details about a vehicle, such as ownership information, registration date, and the vehicle’s unique registration number. 

The logbook serves as proof of ownership and is crucial for various administrative purposes, including selling the vehicle or updating personal details. It is important to keep the V5C updated and secure, as it is required in legal and official transactions related to the vehicle.

Information includes on V5C:

  • Current registered keeper’s name and address
  • Vehicle make, model, and color
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Engine number
  • Registration date
  • Previous registered keeper count
  • Vehicle taxation class
  • Date of issue of the V5C
  • Unique document reference number
  • DVLA contact information

Where can I find my V5C number without a logbook?

If you don’t have the logbook, you can find the V5C document reference number (11 digits) on your vehicle tax reminder (V11) or your registration certificate in the top right-hand corner. Alternatively, you can locate it on a recent vehicle tax renewal letter from the DVLA. 

If you’ve recently applied for a new logbook, the document reference number may be on the acknowledgement letter. If you still have difficulties, contact the DVLA for assistance.

What Steps should I take If my V5C Is lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed?

Visit the official DVLA website and download form V62 or obtain it from a post office. Fill out the form with accurate details. Include the appropriate fee and any necessary documents, such as a police report for a stolen V5C. Mail the completed form to the address provided on the form. Expect the replacement V5C within 2 to 4 weeks.

1. To apply for a duplicate V5C online:

  1. Ensure you are the registered keeper on the V5C.
  2. Visit the DVLA website and complete the online application.
  3. Expect to receive your V5C within 5 working days.
  4. Contact DVLA if you haven’t received it after 2 weeks.
  5. After 6 weeks, without notification, a £25 fee applies for replacement. Apply promptly and track the status for a seamless process.

2. To apply for a V5C replacement by phone:

  1. Confirm you’re the registered keeper of the V5C.
  2. Ensure no details have changed; they must match the missing/damaged V5C.
  3. Have the vehicle registration number, VIN/chassis number, and your name/postcode on the V5C.
  4. Contact DVLA by phone to apply.
  5. Expect to receive the V5C after 4 weeks. If not received after 4 weeks, contact DVLA for assistance. Ensure accuracy for a successful application.

3. To apply for a V5C replacement by post:

  1. Download and complete form V62.
  2. Enclose a cheque or postal order for £25 payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea.’
  3. Mail the application to DVLA at the address provided on the form.
  4. Await processing, and you will receive the replacement V5C by post. Ensure all details are accurate for a smooth transaction.

How long does it take to get a duplicate log book?

The processing time for a duplicate logbook (V5C) application typically takes around 2 to 4 weeks. However, this timeframe may vary based on the method of application (online, by phone, or by post) and other factors. Applicants can check the status of their application or contact the DVLA if there are any concerns about the delay.

How to change my address on V5C?

You can freely update your new address on V5C by following steps: 

  1. Download and complete section 6 of the V5C form.
  2. Fill in your new address details and sign the declaration.
  3. Mail the updated V5C to the address specified on the form. Remember to update your driving license separately with your new address.

Visit gov.uk official site to change address on v5c for further more details.

Can I sell my car without a V5C?

Selling a car without a V5C can be challenging but not impossible. Obtain a replacement V5C from the DVLA if lost, or apply for one if you never had it. In the meantime, you can still sell the car by providing the new owner with a receipt and a valid MOT certificate and notifying the DVLA of the change of ownership. The buyer may need to apply for a new V5C. However, having the original V5C simplifies the process and builds trust with potential buyers.

How do you change ownership of a car using V5C?

To change ownership of a car using V5C, follow these steps. The current owner must fill in section 6 of the V5C, providing the new owner’s details. Both parties sign the form. The new owner should send the completed V5C to the DVLA. Additionally, updating the V5C with the correct information is crucial to avoid legal issues. The process ensures a smooth transition of ownership and proper documentation for the vehicle. Always keep a copy of the updated V5C for reference.

Drive with Confidence! 

Discover the Untold Story of Your Next Ride with Comprehensive Vehicle History Checks

Frequently asked questions:

How do I tell DVLA my car is scrapped without a logbook?

If your car is scrapped without the logbook, inform the DVLA by completing and mailing form V5C/3, available online. Include details like the date of scrapping, the name and address of the scrapyard, and your signature. It’s crucial to notify the DVLA promptly to avoid unnecessary paperwork or future liabilities associated with the scrapped vehicle.

Can I see my vehicle’s previous keeper information on V5C?

No, the V5C (logbook) doesn’t display the previous keeper’s information. For privacy reasons, individual owner details are not disclosed on the document. However, you can contact the DVLA for limited information, and a vehicle history check might provide more details.

How do I get the v5c for my car?

To get the V5C for your car, complete form V62, available online or at post offices. Include a £25 fee, mail it to the address on the form, and receive the V5C within a few weeks.

How to Tax a Car Without a V5C?

To tax a car without a V5C, use the 16-digit reference number from your vehicle tax reminder (V11) or the 11-digit reference number from your registered keeper’s document. If you don’t have these, request a new V5C from DVLA before attempting to tax your car.